When a brand hasn’t released any new versions of their product for over 7 years, it can mean one of two things:
- The brand is so confident in it’s current product, that it would rather devote a lengthy period of time developing a new product that will truly be an improvement, rather than just release new versions (that are essentially the same) every year.
- The brand isn’t in the best of places and may just be counting down the days to the inevitable.
Well as I’m sure you’ve already guessed, Chivas Regal is firmly in the first camp. Their new ‘global expression’ Chivas Regal Extra is their first new global launch since 2007 and you can really tell why it’s been so long in the making. It takes a brave brand to wait this long to launch a new product, but Chivas Regal may just have nailed the timing on this one.
It has been a long time coming for Chivas Regal Master Blender, Colin Scott, but it’s clearly been a labour of love that has been more than worth it for Scott, as the end product really has been worth the wait.
Chivas Regal Extra is a unique blended Scotch, which uses some of the very rarest of malt whiskies from the Chivas collection. Matured in Olorosso sherry casks, Chivas Regal Extra is instantly recognisable with its sweet and fruity nose with definite notes of pear. And the pear continues long into the taste profile combining with some obvious vanilla notes and a subtle spice provided by cinnamon.
Master Blender Colin Scott said of the new product – “This is our first new global expression since 2007.The mark of its quality lies in its rich and generous taste which we’ve created by using some of our rarest whiskies built on a rich foundation of malts that have been matured in a higher proportion of sherry casks. This process delivers a profound depth of flavour and a whisky that showcases the character of this unique blend, taking it to a whole new level.”
So, now it’s time for the all important suggested cocktail to make the most of this wonderful new whisky.
We’ve gone for a very aptly named cocktail this time. Enjoy.
The Gentlemans Agreement
40ml Chivas Regal Extra
20ml Regal Rogue Bianco Vermouth
10ml Mezcal del Maguey
30ml Fresh Pineapple Juice
50ml Ginger Ale
5ml Briottet Peach Liqueur
How to make it
- Add the fresh pineapple juice to your Chivas Regal Extra
- Add 20ml of fortified wine.
- Mix with the Suze and Mezcal, which will release the smokiness.
- Top with Ginger Ale and ice.
- Garnish with pineapple leaves to give it that authentic tropical feel.
Dapper Chapper was lucky enough to get an advance sample of Chivas Regal Extra. It will be available in Travel Retail from April 2015 / in the US from August 2015 / in the UK from September 2015. Bring on 2015.