95 Kingsland High St,
We made our way downstairs to late-night Shoreditch haunt Ray’s Bar with the temptation of tasting their brand spanking new summer menu. Under the guidance of Head Bartender Dave Miller, we picked his brain on what the new cocktails bring to the table (bar) and the surprises awaiting lucky punters.
One of the interesting revelations is that many of the drinks have reared their head at one time or another, thanks to the innovative weekly inspo-menu created by the team. They took learnings from the popular serves, found out why people enjoyed them and probed what they were looking for in a summer serve. It’s fair to say that this is the most local-friendly menu revamp we’ve witnessed in a long time.
Adding to the extensive market research is a refreshingly amusing dark humour, and rather than giving it all away up front (as if we would do that to you and spoil the fun) we encourage you to explore the menu and try to find the hidden depths within.
The menu is split into four sections, from Aperetifs to After Party, allowing you to choose your poison carefully – take a look at some of the new additions below.
- Voodoo Radler (£7) – Pamplemousse, Grapefruit Sherbert, Hop Syrup, Lager
- Koku (£8) – Saké, Umeshu, Lemon, Violet, Egg White
- Scotch Mist (£8) – Highland Park 12 Scotch, Orange Sherbet, Lemon, Ginger & Cassia Syrup
- Citrus Paradiso (£8) – Martell VSOP, Grapefruit, Lemon, Maraschino, Curacao
- Gunpowder Gimlet (£10) – Absolut Elyx Vodka, Death’s Door Gin, Green Tea, Clarified Lime Juice
- Smoking Jacket (£9) – QuiQuiRiQui Matalan Mezcal, Sweet Vermouth, Fernet-Branca, Bitters
- Sweet Virginia (£8) – Beefeater Gin, Belsazar Rose Vermouth, Raspberries, Lemon
- La Vida Loca (£10) – Vida Mezcal, Amaro Montenegro, Maraschino, Lime, Velvet Falernum, Green Tea
Fantastic atmosphere and attentive bartenders make this a venue that’s ideal for a first date – fight your hanger with a slice available to order from upstairs – or a chilled out, classy base for yourself and a group to chill and enjoy a few. Pop in earlier for facetime with the main men, or enjoy the DJ set that gets things kicking later on.
While the favourites remain, others that are no longer visible are available to order so don’t worry if you no long see your barstool stalwart featured. This is one basement you’re going to want to get far more acquainted with.